Thursday, January 19, 2012

Taking a Break from Social Networking



In an amusing and funny twist, although I'm still actively blogging, I am taking a much-needed break from Facebook- that social monster and time sucker.  Due to internet drama (more than the usual), I'm retreating into my own space and pulling the plug on the wonderful world of FB.  I've grown weary of sitting and watching what others are doing, and feeling pressured to either compete for who has the most interesting status or updates, or to watch the minutiae of what everyone else is doing, their movements tracked by rolling ticker tape on the right side of the screen.  I wasn't having problems with any one person in particular- it was more of a collective aggravation and the knowledge that my minutes and hours were flying out the window like so much dandelion fluff on the wind of missed opportunities.  I began to feel like a caricature of myself, a carbon copy of a real person captured in anime out of real time.  It was the exactly right moment to get away from the social media feeding frenzy.  Time to close the cardboard door and open an actual real window to the living world beyond, teeming with unwasted minutes, clarity, unpredictability and activity. 

With the vast amounts of time I'll be saving from my FB activities, I plan on channeling more time on artisan ones- I just received the order I put in for jewelry supplies in the post (the real post! not an "inbox") and am currently in the process of making lucky charm bracelets and necklaces.  I will be taking more photographs of new places and people with my new incredible camera (thank you for playing Santa this Christmas, Momma!!!!!), and I will begin the next phase of my writing career next week.  I might even be blogging more about my activities- unlike networking online, the blog helps me keep track of moments, ideas and activity- what is actually getting done as opposed to what everyone else is doing.  More selfish, but more proactive at the same time.  Wish me luck!

Hope this finds my awesome readers doing well and thinking about how to channel less of their valuable time on social networking, and more time on their real world pursuits.  In the meantime, let's keep in touch- I haven't quite "left the building" and I value your thoughts and company.  Email me anytime folks!  

No comments:

Post a Comment