Friday, August 29, 2014

Foodies- Recipe for Healthy French Toast



I am a big breakfast person.  Mom always raised me with the old adage, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day", and I took it to heart.  After waking up from a night's sleep, it is crucial that we replenish the body's fuel and give it the energy it requires for the long day ahead.  Its easy to get stuck in a rut as far as early morning menus go- the old standby of cereal and toast can get boring fast.  Another concern for many is calorie counting- although I am a believer in firing up the metabolism early in the day regardless of how caloric the meal is.  When I was pregnant with my son, my eating habits underwent some strange changes, fueled by hormones and the usual pregnant-lady cravings.  What I ended up eating, every single morning for 9 months and even to this day, is French toast.  The ingredient list is short but each item is healthy, and recently I've added bananas to the mix to provide flavor and protein.  I believe that eating healthy should not be a chore or something to dread- I feel that it can and should be delicious.  So, this is my recipe for the Breakfast of Champs- Banana French Toast. 

Ingredients:

(1) Whole wheat sliced bread (1-3 slices)
(2) 1 egg (check for organic, free-range, hormone-free)
(3) 1/3 banana, smashed to a pulp
(4) 1/2 tsp wheat germ
(5) 1/4 c. almond coconut milk
(6) 1 tsp cinnamon
(7) 1/2 tsp vanilla
(8) 1 tsp powdered sugar

Directions:

(1) In a bowl, beat the egg. Blend in all ingredients except bread. 

(2) Set frying pan on high heat for 2 minutes, then lower to medium, and spray pan with cooking spray.

(3) Dredge a slice of bread through the batter on both sides, then place in frying pan.  Flip the bread frequently.  Evenly brown on both sides.

(4) Dredge the next slice of bread through batter mix, and fry in the pan.  Remember to flip frequently to avoid the bread becoming overly-browned.   

(4) Serve sprinkled with a dusting of powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries.  Tastes even better with a mug of hot tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment