Friday, July 29, 2011

Animals as Medicine for the Soul

Zen moments are sometimes very difficult to find.  During times like these, I find that helping the less fortunate is a productive use of time and energy, and a reminder of how blessed my life is despite some ongoing sorrows.  The most  recent Zen moment I have to report on this subject, happened last Saturday- helping the SPCA during an adoption event at Clearview Mall.  My assigned dog was Jace, a year old pitbull puppy- a sweetheart with a coat like a tiger, and an endless amount of playful energy.  We met so many people that day and made some new friends.  Jace hugged and kissed his way into many hearts, especially mine.  I'm no social butterfly, but taking on the cause of helping this puppy find a home helped me network successfully with complete strangers.  Its not about "you", its about "them".  And the gratitude from this dog was reward in itself.  He sat in my lap and nestled against my heart.  We weren't even an hour into the event when I knew it would be rough having to go separate ways at the end.  And as predicted, by the end of the evening it was very hard to load him in the puppy truck and say goodbye.  Helping Jace out was one of the best weekend evenings I've spent in a long time.  He showed gratitude, affection and love, and I'll be keeping tabs on him to make sure he gets adopted before his time at the shelter is up.


Word of advice to the folks out there: if you have the resources (all it takes is love and basic food/vet bills), adopt a pet.  You'll get your mind off  your worries, even momentarily, taking care of someone less fortunate who will provide instant gratitude.  If you can't change your lifestyle to adopt a pet, then consider volunteering at your local animal shelter- the folks there are grateful for whatever you can contribute and you can make your own schedule, whether its an hour a day or one per week or even one per month- no amount is too small.  The cats and dogs are grateful for any bit of time and attention you can bring them. And the love you will get in return will stay with you and enrich your life.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to do. And what a precious dogie. He should have no problem finding a home. Sometimes I wish I could take on a couple of extra but Shelby keeps me busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, thanks for the positive feedback! Yes, thankfully Jace found a home at the eleventh hour. Whew!

    I'm happy you have Shelby- she's plenty enough to handle, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very glad to know that Jace got a home with a forever person. You are doing a wonderful thing with this "cause". Volunteering for those less fortunate who have no voice is wonderful. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, thank God this darling boy found his forever home!!! Thanks Mom :)

    ReplyDelete